description

"Write what you need to read." ~Brene Brown

Friday, October 3, 2014

The Power of Habit - This month's intenSati Workout theme

Ah, The Power of Habit!!
Yeah, not that kind of habit. 

I'm talking the gazillion habits we have which keep us from having to make a ton of decisions every time we do things.  A lot of habits are ones we don't even think about.

Habits happen in a three step process (mostly without our thinking about it).

Here's an example.  When I am feeling bad, that can be a cue. My routine unconscious habit?  Binge watch some inane or great television show on Netflix. The result?  I am rewarded by not having to feel anything. I enter a trance-like zombie state and  find relief.

The problem is that as soon as I stop watching Netflix, the bad feelings will return, and may be worse because now I'll feel that I have wasted several hours of life.

 If I want more long lasting and satisfying rewards for having a routine cue for sadness, I'll need to find something new that is equally as enticing. 

Hmmm....

How about this?

I feel sad.  I decide to do an intenSati workout.  I feel great while I'm doing it, and I get to keep feeling great afterwards, thanks to the power of endorphins.

Is there a habit you want to change?

Come work it out! This month's series is inspired by the book, The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughtful insights are a valuable part of the conversation. Thank you for contributing!