description

"Write what you need to read." ~Brene Brown

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pumpkins Can Increase Your Happiness!!

Winter Pumpkin and Sugar Pumpkin

As I enjoyed a delicious smoothie, made from the flesh of exhibit B in the photograph above, I learned that the pumpkin seeds roasting in the oven are a great source of tryptophan, which increases the serotonin levels in your system.

That means it isn't just the Turkey that gives us the lift we need for that post-holiday banquet bliss!


Here are a few more nutritional facts which might entice you to put more pumpkin on the plate:
  • They're high in fiber, so they're great for weight loss - as long as you consider what you're making with them.. The butter and cream and sugar count....  
  • High in vitamin A, which is great for your eyes.
  • High in beta-carotene which is a cancer-fighting anti-oxidant
  • Pumpkin seeds are good for your heart
  • High in potassium - A cup of cooked pumpkin has 564mg of potassium, compared to 422mg in a banana. Try the pumpkin smoothie for your post workout rejuvenation!
  • Pumpkin seeds contain tryptophan which will boost the serotonin level in your system
  • Vitamin C helps boost your immune system!

Here's how I concocted the smoothie - a low calorie alternative to a slice of pie, or a dish of pumpkin ice cream.. While it may lack the flaky crust and the sugar rush, it is every bit as satisfying!!


Pumpkin Smoothie

  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
  • stevia to sweeten
  • a few dashes of cinnamon
  • a few dashes of nutmeg
  • a pinch of clove
  • a dash of cardamom
  • a dash of ginger powder
  • handful of ice cubes


Blend until creamy. Yep, that's it!!! Serves 2, 90 calories per serving!

... and here is what I plan for breakfast tomorrow:


Pumpkin Eggnog

  • 1 cup pumpkin puree - cold
  • 1 cup Greek Vanilla Nonfat yogurt- cold
  • Stevia to sweeten
  • a few dashes of cinnamon
  • a few dashes of nutmeg
  • a pinch of ground clove
  • a dash of cardamom
  • a dash of ginger
  • 2 eggs (cold)


Blend until creamy, serves 2

One last yummy pumpkin suggestion.... Pumpkin Ravioli!
Pumpkin Ravioli with Buttery Sage Garlic Cream Sauce

Some of my friends know the story of my attempt to make this dish last year, after a hike in Central Oregon. 

I can tell you with all honesty, it is the WORST meal I have ever prepared and eaten in my fifty years of life here on Planet Earth.  

On that fateful day, I filled my pockets with sage that I gathered along the trail.  Since I didn't have my pasta maker at the house, I used wonton wrappers. I scorched the butter, then the milk when making the sauce, and tried to saute the raviolis in the pan.

This year, I consulted the Williams-Sonoma recipe, and only made minor embellishments.  I added garlic and cream to the sauce.  Other than that, I followed the method to the letter.  It deserves the five star rating on the blog, and yes, here is the link:  RECIPE FOR YUMMY PUMPKIN RAVIOLI.

It went down nicely paired with a bottle of two buck Chuck red.  (I know, we're heathens...).

Welcome to the fall season!  May you enjoy the benefits of eating pumpkin!!






    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Your thoughtful insights are a valuable part of the conversation. Thank you for contributing!